Well it's about time. HEB is hands down my favorite grocery chain. Their customer service is usually on point and some of their HEB brand products have permanent spots on my shelves(looking at you in-store squeezed OJ). I've been really looking forward to two things from them, contactless payments and a mobile app. Looks like both just went live.
The app provides what you'd now expect from a grocery/retail app, including grocery lists, RX prescription services, and store info. Their grocery list has a nifty function that allows you to scan barcodes and codes on receipts to add frequently purchased products onto the list. It also allows you to set up your list based on the location you're at(very cool).
HEB is also known for it's chefs and in-store cooking/recipes. The app takes advantage of this and makes those recipes available(including being able to add those recipe ingredients to your grocery lists). They've taken their coupons digitally, for right now they seem to have a login type of system in place but I'm guessing that'll evolve into a phone code scanning function(or NFC tapping) in the future.
Overall nice start, but I hope it keeps taking some leaps in the future.
Check out HEB.com/mobile to learn more(including a Vid that demos the app)
A few suggestions...
- An add friends function would be awesome, think of being able to create and share a “Super Bowl Party” list with a few friends and even assign certain items to certain contacts. Parties and get-togethers aside, this function would be great for couples, families, roommates, etc. Create a running family household list, shared amongst family members.
- With a shared list, it'd be great to not only assign items to certain contacts but for those contacts to actually be able to choose the items themselves. (So I'd be able to view a shared or party list and select off the list what I can bring, everyone's list would then show that "Eli" is purchasing the stuff for jalapeno poppers and the paper towels)
- Future updates could include giving an option for friends to vote for certain items like type of Meat or Sides.
- Micro Vids for quick walkthroughs on recipes would be great(helpful tips in general would be nice here too).
- LIke a recipe? Save it as a meal. Then give the option of entering meals into a weekly calendar to help organize the weeks menu and grocery list.
- Calorie Info for meals(and food in general) and the ability to share said info in-app with apps like MyFitnessPal or the Apple Health App.
- It'd be super cool to have the ability to purchase, gift, and use GC's completely in-app.
- An add to passbook function(including having scannable codes on physical cards purchased in-store).
Just a few thoughts and features I'd absolutely love to see and use in an HEB app, tell me what you think below.